The restart plan outlined that the industry will initially be allowed to plan their return, and then prepare sites from a safety point of view.
The next stage will be a soft start to works, where physical distancing can be maintained and only after consultation with the government to ensure it is safe to do so.
- Life after Covid-19: Mobilising back to a new normal
- CICV Forum urges vital action to improve cashflow in Scotland's construction sector
- Build UK members report 86% of infrastructure and construction sites now open
The six-step phased model for the sector’s return is as follows:
- Phase 0: Planning
- Phase 1: Covid-19 pre-start site prep
- Phase 2: Soft start to site works, only where physical distancing can be maintained
- Phase 3: Steady state operation, only where physical distancing can be maintained
- Phase 4: Steady state operation, where physical distancing can be maintained and/or with PPE use
- Phase 5: Increasing density/productivity with experience
The latest announcement gives the sector an opportunity to plan a return to work with more certainty.
It is noted that the return will include domestic work as well as work on sites.